COLLIE DONNYBROOK | 18 – 19 AUGUST
The Collie to Donnybrook and Return Cycling Classic is one of Australia’s road cycling classics. The handicap format gives everyone a chance to get to the finish line first, so hang onto the group and keep some legs for the sprint.
The History behind the Collie Cycle Club and the Collie to Donnybrook and Return
in 1925 on a typical Collie winter’s day a small field of enthusiastic young cyclists pedalled their way through rain and hail over a rough, gravel bush road in the longest cycle race held by the Collie Cycle Club (CCC) in its short history.
The club was formed in 1902 as the Collie Bicycle Club and changed to the present name of the Collie Cycle Club in 1924. They raced over a 50 mile course on the Collie to William’s road to the east of Collie through pristine jarrah forest.
From that inconspicuous club event developed the historic 65 mile (now 104km) Collie to Donnybrook and Return Cycle Classic which has gone on to become one of an Australia’s road cycling classics. Encouraged by the interest aroused by that initial race the CCC resolved to make the race an annual event that would be a test of speed and stamina for the best cyclists in Western Australia.
Collie to Donnybrook Saturday 18th August:
1) 8.45am -16km Participation Ride Registration
2) 9.45am -16km Participation Ride
3) 10.ooam – U/15 & U/17 Handicap Road Race Registration
4) 10:30- 40km U/15 Handicap Road Race
5) 10:30- Collie to Donnybrook Registration
6) 11.30am – 56km U/17 Handicap Road Race
7) 12.30pm 104km Collie Community Bank Collie to Donnybrook and Return Cycling Classic.
Over $8000.00 in prize money & trophies for the Collie to Donnybrook & Return Cycling Classic.
Criterium racing on Sunday 19th August.
1) Racing for U/13 M/W, U/15 M/W, U/17 M/W, Women A, B & C, Men A, B, C & D.
2) U/17 Women and A, B & C women will race together. There will be an outright winner and 1st, 2nd & 3rd in each grade.
– 8.00am registration
– 9.00am U/15’s 20min + 2laps
– 9.30am U/17 Men 30min + 2 laps
– 10.15am B, C & D Men 30min + 2 laps
– 11.00am U/17, A & B Women 30min + 2 laps
– 11.45am A Men 40min + 2 laps
Over $4500 in prize money for the Bendigo Bank Criterium.
There will be street markets held between 8 am and 1 pm in Forrest Street on the Sunday
Presentations and Dinner
Presentations will be held at the Collie Italian Club at 5pm. The bar will be open from 4 pm with snacks provided.
Dinner will follow at 6:30 pm. Pasta night and “On the Couch” with Winter Paralympian Shaun Pianta. Pasta, Salad, bread and sweets available. Tickets are $25 per person and you can get a table of 10 or individual tickets. Call 0409 379 022 to reserve your tickets before the 4th of August.
- Road Race – $60
- Criterium – $40
- Both events – $90
- Road Race – $35
- Criterium – $30
- Both events – $55
Timing chip fee – $5
104km Handicap race
Under 17 Handicap (mixed) 56km
Under 15 Handicap (mixed) 40km
Under 17 Men must ride Under 17 Road race due to Cycling Australia Technical Regulations.
Under 17 Women must ride Under 17 Road race due to Cycling Australia Technical Regulations.
Temporary membership riders will be limited to either scratch, chopping block or 2nd chopping block (last off, second last or 3rd last) in the handicap Race
For visitor or accommodation information contact the Collie Visitor Centre
If you require accommodation the Collie Cycle Club advises that you book sooner rather than later.
Collie Ridge Motel
185 – 195 Throssell StreetCollie WA 6225
27/133 Throssell Street