YORK CYCLING FESTIVAL | 1 – 2 SEPTEMBER
WELCOME TO THE YORK CYCLING FESTIVAL – PRESENTED BY THE SHIRE OF YORK
You will need a “3 Race membership” or full racing membership to cover you if you do the full York Cycling Festival. Get a “3 Race membership” through the Cycling Australia website HERE
New in 2018, we will collaborate with two of WA Cycling’s biggest member organisations. BWA will be hosting a Cyclo Sportif on the Road Course ahead of the Graded Race and West Coast Masters Cycling Council Members will race a specific masters category, also on the road course.
Stage 1: King and Queen of the Mountain
Starting from the corner of South and Lowe Street, the Individual Time Trial Hill Climb is 3km in distance. Riders will start in 30-second intervals, travelling along South Street turning left onto Suburban Rd, which turns into Newcastle Street, continuing on Newcastle Street crossing over Panmure Road onto Steer/Pioneer Rd. Finishing on the top of Mount Brown.
- 9:00 am Race briefing- Registration area- Pioneer Avon Park
- 9:30am start time, to be completed by 11:00am
- Grades to start at 9:30am in the following order in 8-10 minute intervals
- West Coast Masters Cycling Council and CycleSport WA members will race together in the below grades –
- Women’s A Grade
- Women’s B Grade
- Women’s C Grade
- Women’s D Grade
- 5 Minute Break
- Men’s A Grade
- Men’s B Grade
- Men’s C Grade
- Men’s D Grade
Cyclo Sportif Hosted by Bicycling Western Australia: 54km-94km
The ride will start from the assembly area at Pioneer Park Race Village and will travel under convoy through town in a 1km neutral section. Riders will the re-group at the Start/finish line on Knotts Road ready to start their event. Riders will travel up Knotts Road becoming Talbot Road and then turn left onto Talbot West Road and then left onto Qualen West Road following this until it meets again with Talbot Road.
Depending on whether you are racing one or two laps of the loop, you will turn here accordingly. The race will finish at the starting point back of Knotts Road.
- 7:30 am Start time, to be completed by 12:30 pm
Stage 2: Graded Road Race
Again, both WCMCC and CSWA members will race together – The Road Race will start from the assembly area at Pioneer Avon Park Race Village and will travel under convoy through town in 1km neutral section. Riders are to assemble at Pioneer Avon Park at 12:20pm and will be leaving for the start line, under convoy at 12:30pm. Riders will then re-group at the Start/Finish Line on Knotts Road ready to start their graded event. You’ll travel up Knotts Road becoming Talbot Road and turning left onto Talbot West Road. Continue along Talbot West Road and turn left onto Qualen West Road follow this until it meets again with Talbot Road.
Depending on whether you are racing one, two or three laps of the loop you will turn here accordingly. The race will finish at the starting point back on Knotts Road.
There will be a 500 and 250 metres to go signs on the side of the road.
- Note – Traffic marshals will be attending – Corner Talbot Rd and Qualen West Rd, Corner Talbot Rd and Talbot West Rd.
- The left turn from Talbot Rd into Qualen West Rd will be sign posted but not marshaled.
- There is a feeding window for the Mens A and B grades and Womens A grade – feeding on top of the hill after turning off Qualen West Rd into Talbot Rd on the second and third laps respectively
No following vehicles except official vehicles are permitted to follow the event.
- WCMCC and CSWA to combine grades.
- 12:20 pm Riders to assemble at Pioneer Avon Park
- 12:30 pm Riders travel under convoy from Pioneer Avon Park to Start Line on Knotts Road
- 12:45 pm Men’s A Grade – 3 laps = 132 km
- 12:50 pm Men’s B Grade – 2 laps = 94 km
- 12:52 pm Women’s A Grade – 2 laps = 94 km
- 1:00 pm Men’s C Grade – 1 lap = 54 km
- 1:02 pm Women’s B Grade – 1 lap = 54 km
- 1:05 pm Men’s D and E combined Grades – 1 lap = 54km
- 1:10pm Women’s C and D combined Grades – 1 lap = 54km
Start times may vary depending on the number of registrations and are subject to change.
SUNDAY – ENTER FOR FREE THANKS TO THE SHIRE OF YORK!
Stage 3: Town Centre Criterium including the “Terry Driessen Memorial” (plus “Little Critters” ride)
Christie Retreat, Avon Terrace, Lowe Street and South Street will be closed to traffic from 10:00am to 2:30pm. During the closure, traffic controllers will be in attendance on street corners directing traffic. Cars will not be able to park in the closed sections of the street from 8:00am.
- 10:00 am start time, to be completed by 2:30pm
- Location: Town Centre of York
- Race Schedule:
- 10:00 am – Women’s C and D Grade – 25 minutes plus 2 laps
- 10:40 am – Men’s D – 30 minutes plus 2 laps
- 11:20 am – Men’s C Grade and Women’s B Grade – 35 minutes plus 2 laps
- 12:10 pm – Men’s B Grade and Women’s A Grade – 40 minutes plus 2 laps
- 1:00 pm – Penny Farthing event
- 1.15 pm – Little Critters – 15 mins
- 1:50 pm – “Terry Driessen Memorial” Men’s A Grade – 50 minutes plus 2 laps
- Little Critters is a free ride for children aged 15 years and under on any bike, supervised by parents. The Little Critters ride is held on the same Town Criterium circuit starting at 1:15 pm for approximately 15 minutes.
- Riders will race in Grades A to D and Masters 40-49 and 50+, with separate Men’s and Women’s grades
- Element Road Series: Riders must hold a Cycling Australia License, International License or ride on a ‘Day Permit”. This race includes quality cyclists at local, state, national and international level.
RIDERS, VOLUNTEER AND OFFICIALS CHECK-IN
All riders, volunteers and officials are required to check in at the Registration Desk located at Pioneer Avon Park.
It is not recommended for any non-official vehicles to follow the riders during any stage of the tour, and in most cases, non-official vehicles may be moved on by the event marshals and officials.
There are many great vantage points. On day one – Mt Brown is recommended during the ITT Prologue and Talbot Rd for the second stage Road Race. Please refrain from having vehicles follow the riders’ bunches.
CycleSport WA have produced a formal Traffic Management Plan with Advanced Traffic Management. On Saturday, the road remains open and riders must stay left during the Race.
If the competitor fails to comply with this traffic rule, they will be fined and will face disqualification from the remainder of the event.
On Sunday, on-street parking on the Town Criterium circuit will be banned from 8:00am, with the formal road closures in place from 10am to 2:00pm.
You will not be permitted to warm up on any part of the racing courses on day one, there will be an area on The Pioneer Avon Park to warm up using stationary rollers/trainers and marquees can be erected in this location with prior arrangement with the Event Director.
The event will be conducted under the rules and regulations of Cycling Australia. The Cycling Australia scale of penalties will apply. For more information please refer to the Cycling Australia website – www.cycling.org.au
There will be signs pointing out 1km and 500 metres to go positions, these will be positioned at the closest points to that distance from the finishing line.
Medal presentations for the two stages on Saturday will be held at approximately 6:00pm in the courtyard of Settlers House in the York township centre. Please come along and support the local business that are helping support this event.
Medal presentations for the Sunday Criterium will be held on the Avon Terrace in front of the Start/Finish Area.
Stage three presentations
12:00pm Men’s D grades, Women’s C/D grades
1:05pm Men’s B/C grade, Women’s A/B grade
2.50 – 3.00 pm Men’ A grade “Terry Driessen Memorial
- Tour riders briefing will be held at Saturday 8:55 – 9.00 am at the Event Village – Pioneer Avon Park..
- Riders will be allocated start times for the ITT Prologue, if this time is missed you will not be allocated another time.
- All riders will be required to assemble before the Saturday afternoon 2nd Stage Road Race at Pioneer Avon Park @ 12:20pm for a group roll out to the starting area.
- After assembling for the graded Road Race, ALL riders will follow the lead race vehicle together in a 1km neutral section via Avon Terrace to the start on Knotts Road where you will reassemble waiting the graded start times.
- No following vehicles will be permitted to follow the road race, there will be a spares vehicle provided for each race.
- Riders will be responsible to know the amount of laps of their own graded Road Race.
- There will be signage from 1km out into the Road Race finish.
- Both Saturday stage presentations will be held at Settlers Housel on Avon Terrace at approximately 6:00pm Saturday evening.
- We will do our BEST to upload the prologue results to social media ASAP after the finish of the stage.
- If riders are racing the first day only, they must return their transponders and race numbers to the race officials at the Event Village Registration Tent at the conclusion of the Road Race.
- Riders racing the Sunday Criterium only will need to register for their grade and collect their transponder and race number no later than 1:30 hours before their race start time (from the Registration Tent in the Main Town center – outside the Post Office).
- Riders to assemble 10 minutes prior to their Criterium start time in the ‘riders assembly’ area at Pioneer Avon Park.
- Riders involved in any accident or mechanical will be allowed one lap out at the discretion of the Chief Commissaire in the Criterium.
- The Men’s A Grade Criterium riders will also be racing for the Terry Driessen Memorial Trophy, which will remain in the property of CycleSport WA.
- Criterium presentations will be held during the racing (refer to the ‘Medal Presentations’ section) and the final A Grade Memorial presentation will follow the conclusion of the A Grade event.
- All riders are expected to act in a professional manner at all times and it is expected you will clean or clear any rubbish or items you have used during your time at the York Cycling Festival.
For any concerns on the day or for further information on the event please contact Glenn Te Raki, Event Director on 0451 412 809.
- A – Men, Women and Masters
- B – Men, Women and Masters
- C – Men, Women and Masters
- D – Men, Women and Masters
- E – Masters
Day One – Saturday 1 September
Time Event Location
7:00 am – 9:00 am: Pre Race – Registrations (Event Village – Pioneer Avon Park)
8:45 am – 9:00 am: Pre Race briefing (Event Village – Pioneer Avon Park)
9:30 am – 11:00 am: Stage 1 – 3km King and Queen of the Mountain: Mount Brown Hill Climb (Starting at South and Lowe Streets)
12:30 pm – 5:00 pm: Stage 2- Graded Road Race: 54km up to 132km (Starting at South and Lowe Streets)
6:00 pm – 6:45 pm: medal presentations (location TBA)
York Agricultural Show (all day)
Sunday 2 September
8:30 am onwards: Pre Race – Registrations (Town Center – Post Office area)
10:00 am – 2:00pm: Stage 3- Town CriteriumTown Centre (closed roads)
12:00 pm: Medal Presentations – Men’s D Grades, Women’s C/D Grades and Masters 50+ (Town Centre)
12:50 pm – 1:00 pm: Little Critters kids ride around the Town Criterium Circuit (closed roads)
1:05 pm: Medal Presentations – Men’s B/C Grades, Women’s A/B Grades and Masters 40/49 (Town Centre)
1:30 pm – 2:00 pm: Final A Grade Race “Terry Driessen Memorial” (Town Centre – closed roads)
2:30 pm: Medal Presentations- Men’s A Grade and Tour Presentations (Town Centre – closed roads)
The most points per grade accumulated over the three stages wins the grade section of the Tour, you must compete in all three stages to be considered the overall tour grade winner.
- Race Entry – All 3 stages: $65
- Race Entry – Day one only: $65 (hill climb and road race)
- Race Entry – Day two only: $FREE – thanks to The Shire of York (criterium)
- Cyclo Sportif- $39
Prices exclusive of processing fee and transponder hire
|Faversham House||Bed and breakfast||(08) 9641 email@example.com||www.favershamhouse.com.au|
|Hillside Country Retreat & Cottages||Bed and breakfast||(08) 9641 firstname.lastname@example.org||www.hillsideretreat.com.au|
|Laurelville Manor||Bed and breakfast||(08) 9641 email@example.com||www.laurelville.com.au|
|Lavendale Farm||Bed and breakfast||(08) 9641 firstname.lastname@example.org||www.lavendalefarm.com|
|Lavendale Farm Cottages||Self-contained||(08) 9641 email@example.com||www.lavendalefarm.com|
|Swann Lodge||Bed and breakfast||(08) 9641 firstname.lastname@example.org||www.swannlodge.com.au|
|The Grandhouse||Bed and breakfast||(08) 9641 email@example.com||www.yorkwa.com.au/grandhouse|
|The York Lily Private Retreat||Bed and breakfast||(08) 9641 firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Avongarde Units||Self-contained||(08) 9330 7664|
|Avon Accommodation York||Motel||(08) 9641 1313|
|Blue Cotttage||Self-contained||0407 190 156|
|Burges Siding School House||Self-contained||0401 456 email@example.com|
|Castle Hotel||Hotel||(08) 9641 firstname.lastname@example.org||www.castlehotel.com.au|
|Gecko Lodge||Self-contained||(08) 9641 email@example.com|
|Girl Guide Barn OPEN JULY 2017||Self-contained||(08) 9479 firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Green Hills Hotel||Hotel||(08) 9641 email@example.com||www.greenhillsinn.com.au|
|Hartleap Cottages||Self-contained||0407 154 firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Hope Farm Guesthouse||Bed and breakfast||(08) 9626 0186||www.hopefarmguesthouse.com.au|
|Hillside Country Retreat - Cottages||Self-contained||(08) 9641 email@example.com||www.hillsideretreat.com.au|
|Kookoburra Cottages/Group Accommodation||Self-contained||(08) 9641 firstname.lastname@example.org|
|One Tree Hill||Selfemail@example.com|
|Quellington Farmstay||Self-contained||(08) 9641 firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Settlers House York||Motel||(08) 9641 email@example.com||www.settlershouseyork.com.au|
|The Nosh & Nod||Motel||0438 825 firstname.lastname@example.org||www.noshnod.com.au|
|The Nosh & Nod||Self-contained||(08) 9641 email@example.com||www.noshnod.com.au|
|The Olive Branch||Self-contained||(08) 9641 firstname.lastname@example.org||www.theolivebranchyork.com.au|
|The York Palace Hotel||Hotel||(08) 9641 email@example.com|
|The York Lily Private Retreat||Self-contained||(08) 9641 firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Whitegum Farmstay & C'van Pk||Caravan Park||0408 906 email@example.com||www.whitegumfarm.com.au|
|Wonobbing Cottage||Self-contained||(08) 9641 firstname.lastname@example.org|
|York Caravan Park||Caravan Park||0476 232 85|
|York Cottages||Self-contained||(08) 9641 email@example.com||www.avonvalleywa.com.au/york/york-cottages|
|Spooky Hall||Motel||0418 929 firstname.lastname@example.org||www.spookyhall.com|
|York Motel||Motel||(08) 9641 email@example.com||www.yorkmotel.com.au|
|York Post Office Apartment||Self-contained||0419 707 firstname.lastname@example.org|
On Sunday there will be a FREE Little Critter ride. Register your interest HERE
The York Cycling Festival is a great opportunity to get your kids into racing.
Little Critters is a free ride for children aged 15 years and under around the
Town Centre circuit.
- Little Critters receive a number plate for their bike to keep
- The ride is supervised by parents and coaches
- All bikes accepted (BMX, MTB, road etc.)
- A great opportunity for your kids to ride on closed roads!
No experience necessary, your kids are sure to enjoy riding in a fun and supportive environment!
Date: Sunday 3rd September
Time: Meet at 12:45pm outside the York Motor Museum for a 12:50 pm start
Location: Avon Terrace
Sign up: From 11:30am outside the York Motor Museum